[pypy-dev] Virtualizables in RPython

Anton Gulenko anton.gulenko at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Apr 24 12:38:33 CEST 2014

Dear developers,

I am currently working on my Masters thesis about optimizations for SPy
(Squeak VM written using the RPython toolchain).
I am planning to devote one or two chapters to the issue of virtualizable
objects in a VM like SPy (and also in SPy in particular).
Since there is not much documentaion on virtualizables available, I would
appreciate your input. I want to collect details about the underlying
concept, and also about the specific implementation in the RPython JIT. For
example, was this concept first introduced in Pypy, or is it an older idea?
How exactly does the optimizer decide which objects can be virtualized, and
which can not?
I would also appreciate pointers to relevant parts of the Pypy source code,
which is probably the best documentation as of now.

Thank you and best regards,
Anton