[pypy-dev] Another benchmark where Pypy is much slower than CPython

Robert Grosse n210241048576 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 05:43:49 CEST 2014

Hi, while working on some MDP code, I discovered that it was several times
as slow under Pypy as CPython. Attached is a benchmark demonstrating this.

On my computer, the benchmark takes 70.3 seconds under CPython 2.7.3 64bit,
but it takes 273.6 seconds under pypy-c-jit-71056-c8e3b8cbc843-win32, the
latest version I could find.

The code is not at all optimized, but I still found it strange that Pypy
did so much worse. The code doesn't seem that complex, but perhaps the
usage of nameduples is triggering pathological behavior from the JIT's
point of view.