[pypy-dev] Mini-sprint August 25-27 in Switzerland

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Aug 14 09:26:41 CEST 2014

Hi all,

We're running a 3-days mini-sprint the 25-27 of August at the
University of Neuchatel, Switzerland, research group of Pascal Felber.
This is not a general PyPy sprint, but one on the topic of STM
specifically.  Nevertheless, in case there is someone nearby who
listens to this mailing list and who would like to show up (from one
day to the full 3 days), he is welcome to.

More details: the mini-sprint is about anything related to PyPy-STM,
but more precisely, now would be a good time to try to push
the idea forward, now that we have an almost reasonable core working
(however rough).  This would involve in general the question: what
does it mean for the user?  Should we scrap atomic blocks and instead
focus on lock elision (as a more backward-compatible idea with nicer
fallbacks in case we try to do I/O in the atomic block)?  We
definitely should make dictionaries more aware of multithreading, but
is that enough to avoid most "unexpected" conflicts?  Can we try to
adapt a larger single-threaded framework (my favourite is Twisted) to
run on multiple threads transparently for the user's applications?