[pypy-dev] numpy plans in the next 6 months?

Toby St Clere Smithe mail at tsmithe.net
Thu Feb 20 13:52:17 CET 2014

Hi Ian,

Ian Ozsvald <ian at ianozsvald.com> writes:
> Hi again. In relation to my other mail, I'm curious about the plans
> for numpy in the next 6 months. Is there an expectation that
> better-than-numpy results might be obtained (e.g. using AVX/SSE or
> being cache friendly)? I'll mention these as they will probably be
> relevant to some of the audience.
> Cheers, Ian.

You might be interested in PyViennaCL, for which I've just made the
first release. See my announcement below; if you're on the numpy and
scipy users' lists, you'll have seen it there, too.

Briefly: PyViennaCL aims to make powerful GPGPU computing really
transparently easy, especially for users already using NumPy for
representing matrices.

I haven't tried building with PyPy yet, but that's fairly high up on my
to-do list.

Cheers,

Toby