[pypy-dev] slow-ish multithreaded primitives

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Feb 23 21:06:40 CET 2014

Hi,

On 23 February 2014 19:54, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Mark Roberts <wizzat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How hostile would you be to a pypy-2.8 branch with these kinds of improvements?
>
> we don't need a 2.8 branch to do that, we can just commit stuff to
> master (that's still python 2.7)

Yes, lock._py3k_acquire() has been added to the default PyPy and will
be in the next release.  It's not completely clear yet if the naming
of this particular method is best.  It could also be called
lock._pypy_acquire(), or be instead a built-in function in the
__pypy__ module.  The point is to not change the semantics of 2.7's
lock.acquire(), as it would indeed require 2.8 --- and there is little
point for just a couple of minor details like this one.