[pypy-dev] Reducing Sphinx doc verbosity on command line help

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 09:59:04 CET 2014

I find that documentation for pip is hard to read,
because it contains too much filler whitespace
and repeated obvious headings.

Take this as example:
http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/usage.html#pip-show

-----[cut now]-------------------------
pip show
Usage <http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/usage.html#id18>

pip show [options] <package> ...

Description

Show information about one or more installed packages.

*Show Options:*

-f, --files

Show the full list of installed files for each package.

*Other Options:*

   - *General Options*<http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/usage.html#general-options>

Examples

   1. Show information about a package:

$ pip show sphinx
---
Name: Sphinx
Version: 1.1.3
Location: /my/env/lib/pythonx.x/site-packages
Requires: Pygments, Jinja2, docutils

-----[cut proposed]-----------------------------
pip show

pip show [options] <package> ...

Show information about one or more installed packages.

-f, --files      Show the full list of installed files for each package.

*Examples*
*Show information about a package (html anchor)*

$ pip show sphinx
---

--
anatoly t.