[pypy-dev] 2.3.1 distribution issues?

Laurence Tratt laurie at tratt.net
Sun Jun 22 12:12:08 CEST 2014

I feel I might be going mad but I think there are a few web-page issues with
the 2.3.1 release. First the links to pypy-2.3.1-src.tar.bz2 and
pypy-2.3.1-src.zip point to release-2.3.1.tar.bz2 and release-2.3.1.zip
respectively in the get directory [1]. This confused the life out of me for a
while. It also makes OS packagers nervous because there is a history of files
being fetched from tags changing their checksums over time.

[As an aside, decompressing release-2.3.1.tar.bz2 leads to a
pypy-pypy-<somerandomhash> directory, which makes it annoying for OS
packagers to upgrade the package. 2.3 has this problem as well, although I'm
sure some past source releases had a more standard pypy-V.V directory.]

If I go instead to BitBucket's downloads page [2], I can see binaries for
various platforms for 2.3.1, but not a source archive?

Laurie

[1] http://pypy.org/download.html#building-from-source
[2] https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/downloads