[pypy-dev] pypy 2.2.1 win32

Johan Råde johan.rade at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 19:25:20 CET 2014

Hi Norbert,

It is not easy to answer questions like that. We have not tested every
Python program with every Python version. Why don't you just try
yourself? If you run into problems when you try with PyPy, feel free to
ask for advice here.

But OK, I happen to have Sunfish and four different 32-bit Python
versions installed on my computer. Here are the results I got when I
timed the Sunfish function test.selfplay():

PyPy 2.2.1:          106.2 s
PyPy 3.2.1 beta:     395.2 s
CPython 2.7.6:       363.9 s
CPython 3.4.0 RC2:   426.5 s

So it seems that you can use any of these four, but PyPy 2.2.1 is
fastest. (I think the author of Sunfish has optimized the code using
PyPy 2.)

And let's get the terminology straight: Python is a language.
PyPy, CPython, IronPython and Jython are different implementations of
that language.
The software that you call Python 3.3.4 should be called CPython 3.3.4.

Cheers,
Johan