[pypy-dev] Pypy garbage collection

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Mar 18 11:41:07 CET 2014

PMJI, but I wonder if some of these objects could come from
trivial re-instatiations instead of re-use of mutable
objects, e.g., fishing out one attribute to use together
with a new value as init values for an (unnecessarily) new obj.

     obj = ObjClass(obj.someattr, chgval)

where

     obj.chg = chgval

would have done the job without creating garbage. I suspect this
pattern can happen more subtly than above, especially if __new__
is defined to do something tricky with old instances.

Also, creating a new object can be a tempting way to feel sure about
its complete state, without having to write a custom (re)init method.