[pypy-dev] Why CFFI is not useful - need direct ABI access 4 humans

Markus Unterwaditzer markus at unterwaditzer.net
Sat Mar 29 13:58:16 CET 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 02:49:00PM +0300, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> I know what C in CFFI stands for C way of doing things, so
> I hope people won't try to defend that position and instead
> try to think about what if we have to re-engineer ABI access
> from scratch, for explicit and obvious debug binary interface.
>

> CFFI is not useful for Python programmers and here is why.
>
> The primary reason is that it requires you to know C.

You're using C if you're calling it from Python. Knowing the language (to some
degree) when using it is inevitable.

> And knowing C requires you to know about OS architecture.

The PyPy team (especially fijal) has always strongly discouraged from
porting Python code to C for performance. If you have a good reason to use C,
it is not surprising that you're going to be confronted with the dangers of
such a language. I am not sure if you're trying to make a point against C or
CFFI here.

I am also not sure if the rest of your post actually means anything, or if it
is just way above my head. But given that you're throwing around with
statements like "this is useless", i don't feel compelled or motivated to try
to understand your ramblings.

-- Markus