[pypy-dev] PyPy for analysis?

Scott West scott.gregory.west at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 13:42:07 CEST 2014

Hello all,

I was looking recently into trying to do some simple static analysis of
Python programs (to experiment with what is possible), and came across
PyPy. Reading some of the documentation it seems that PyPy forms a
control flow graph and does some abstract interpretation, which seems to
indicate that it could be used for other forms of static analysis!

I had a couple questions:
   1) Would PyPy (seem) to be a good place to start for a general
analysis framework? If so, would it be of general interest?
   2) If one doesn't care about code generation, can the build time be
reduced? I tried just using pyinteractive.py and that _seemed_ to work,
though even that compiles a few things to start.
   3) What is a good way to get into modifying the internals (adding
analyses, skipping code gen.)? I have read the chapter of the Open
Source Architecture book, and some of the documentation pages.

I would be most grateful if anyone could provide any comments on these
issues, or pointers to other similar works.

Thanks!

Regards,
Scott