[pypy-dev] Porting PyPy/rpython to Python 3

Ronan Lamy ronan.lamy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:15:27 CEST 2015

Le 17/04/15 16:58, VanL a écrit :
> A question came up in the discussion of a pull request: What is the
> allowable scope? I propose pypy/ and rpython/ as those are fairly
> intertwined.
>
> Comments?

You've stated that your goal is to allow the building of pypy[2|3] with
pypy[2|3], but that requires several different steps:
1. Make it possible for Python 3 to run the RPython toolchain.
2. Make the RPython toolchain work on 2+3 mixed-mode code bases.
3. Port the interpreter to 2+3-compatible code.

Trying to work on task 3. before resolving its prerequisites is very
likely to be inefficient and generate unnecessary friction. For now, I
think you should only work on 1. (which is rather big already). This
basically means modifying only rpython/.