[pypy-dev] Porting PyPy/rpython to Python 3

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:45:57 CEST 2015

​Hi,​
​sorry for responding so late, I was at a conference.​

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> I would imagine that a better way would be to not care about
> restricted style at all.  If we really decide to move to Python 3,
> then maybe we should drop 2.7 altogether and all do one sprint whose
> goal is to fully switch to Python 3.N (both "default" and the major
> branches open at the time).  It would be a documented move that occurs
> at some date --- I imagine this to be in the "far future", say when
> Python 3 is becoming dominant over Python 2.

The question is also WHETHER Python 3 will become dominant over Python 2.
This is a broad topic and I'm not sure pypy-dev and this particular thread
is the right place to discuss it, but in my experience, I see a lot of
large 2.7 codebases which will likely never be ported to python3.

The problem of such codebases is what happens when python2.7 will no longer
be supported, but for PyPy this is not a problem since we are self-hosting:
we DO decide when to stop supporting pypy-2.7, and for all I know it might
be perfectly reasonable to support pypy-2.7 + rpython-on-python-2.7 for a
long time.

My final point of view is similar to Armin's: +0 as long as the
compatibility does not affect the readabiltity-maintainability of the code
base, -1 as soon as it does.

ciao,
Anto