[pypy-dev] How to embed PyPy when there's no filesystem?

tom at twhanson.com tom at twhanson.com
Tue Apr 28 17:33:01 CEST 2015

I'm confused about the relationship between SimpleIOSandboxedProc and
VirtualizedSandboxedProc.

Looking at pypy_interact.py I see that it is multiply dependent from
SimpleIOSandboxedProc and VirtualizedSandboxedProc.  I expected that
I'd be able to drop VirtualizedSandboxedProc and tweak the code in
pypy_interact to get a controller that just did stdin/stdout.  But
when I try that I get "out of memory" errors.

It appears that SimpleIOSandboxedProc is not an independent,
stand-alone class but is actually non-functional without the child
class VirtualizedSandboxedProc.  Is that the intent?  Am I missing
something?

-Tom

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:43:19 +0200, Armin Rigo  wrote:

       Hi Tom,

On 27 April 2015 at 18:10,  wrote:
> We can't hard-code the scripts into the binary becuase their purpose is to
> adapt behavior to new configurations. Because of this the scripts will be
> read from an external source and then executed. This is what makes the the
> stdin/stdout streaming version attractive.

I just said "statically into the binary" as an example. Of course you
can get the string from anywhere, like from reading an external
source. Once you got it into a "char *", you can pass it to
pypy_execute_source().