[pypy-dev] Best way to use py.test with RPython projects and travis-ci?

Sarah Mount mount.sarah at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:00:16 CEST 2015

This week someone pushed a nice commit to a Python repository I contribute
to, which sped up Travis builds by upgrading pip and using the cache to
store requirements. I thought "that's neat, I should try that trick in my
own (R)Python projects". And that, friends, is how I entered a whole new
world of pain and suffering.

It seems that if you install py.test using pip and cache pip packages in
Travis, like this:

https://travis-ci.org/futurecore/revelation/builds/73584887

I think because PyPy packages its own version of py.test and the two get
confused.

On the other hand, if you strip py and py.test from PyPy then you can't
translate your interpreter:

https://travis-ci.org/futurecore/revelation/builds/73694483

What is the recommended way to manage this stuff?

Thanks,

Sarah

--
Dr. Sarah Mount, Senior Lecturer, University of Wolverhampton
website:  http://www.snim2.org/