[pypy-dev] Running pypy unit tests

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Aug 6 10:46:27 CEST 2015

Hi Vaibhav,

On 5 August 2015 at 10:22, Vaibhav Sood <vaibhav_sood at persistent.com> wrote:
> The way I run the tests is “./pytest.py <folder>” for each folder in the
> source code, I get the test results all folders but the command hangs for
> one particular folder “pypy/module”

By "each folder" we mean "each individual 'test' subfolder".  The
pypy/module directory contains a large number of subdirectories, each
with their own tests, so you should not run all the pypy/module tests
at once.

Yes, there is an automatic way.  However in general we don't use it
ourselves.  It is used automatically by the nightly test runs which
show up at http://buildbot.pypy.org (when the web site is not down
like now...).

Instead, when we do changes somewhere, we run directly the tests in
the "test" subdirectory of where we did the changes, and if they pass,
we commit.  In the rare case where this breaks things at some
unrelated place, we will notice the next morning after the nightly
run, and fix it then.