[pypy-dev] Windows: pypyw.exe?

Yaacov Finkelman yeomanyaacov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 03:34:51 CET 2015

HI,

I have "fix it" by copying Pypy.exe then using "EDITBIN.EXE
/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS C:\pypy\pypyw.exe" from Microsoft Visual Studio to
change the relevant byte. [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/574911]
So yes, don't give me too much credit for knowing what I'm doing. In
honor of learning on the job, let me barg ahead.

tweaking a Makefile sounds like a good solution. What part of the code
generates the Makefile?

The difference between pythonw.exe and python.exe is that one is a
"windows" application and the other is a "console" application.
Testing this defence...
We could run pypyw.exe and check whether a console appears. Slow and
requires running on windows.
We could check the binary file to see if the relevant byte is set to
the correct setting. Requires thorough understanding of the structure
of exe that I don't at this time have. As such the test would require
good testing.
Uew a third party module to check the exe for the correct SUBSYSTEM.
All the packages I can find are incredibly out of date, but maybe I
missed one, or maybe they still work.

Best,

Jacob