[pypy-dev] Another idea for improving warm-up times

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat Feb 7 20:30:32 CET 2015

Re-hi,

In fact, after more discussion on irc, it seems that we can (almost or
completely) decide "we can reuse this saved trace" like this: "if we
trace it again, we follow the same path in the jitcodes".  Indeed,
this path implicitly encodes all the relevant information, like which
Python opcodes we see, the result of the other kinds of guards
(including what I called "green guards"), and so on.  What is left is
the issue that in the reused trace, we need to patch the constants to
be the ones seen during this new tracing.  (Well, and a lot of careful
review for anything that might have looked inside Consts between
tracing and assembler generation, notably in the optimizer.)