[pypy-dev] can_enter_jit - what is it and did something change?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Jan 11 23:50:18 CET 2015

Hi Yuriy,

On 11 January 2015 at 23:38, Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar at gmail.com> wrote:
> - Did something change wrt can_enter_jit since that code had been written? I
> mean besides check that raises that error [3].

No.  There are probably cases where that check fails but the code was
still correct; I bet it was the case in 'lang-js' (or, actually, I
*hope* it was correct in the first place!).

You're correct in killing 'can_enter_jit' completely.  As you found
out, it doesn't have any impact on the performance of JIT-generated
code; it only impacts the performance of JITting itself.  Nowadays it
is considered an "advanced hint" only.