[pypy-dev] Numpy Topics

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:18:59 CET 2015

On 21/01/2015 2:57 AM, Steven Jackson wrote:

> Hey I'd like to know if the proposed numpy projects list at
> https://bitbucket.org/pypy/extradoc/src/extradoc/planning/micronumpy.txt
> is still up to date, and if so what is meant by "a good sort function."
> If it's just a matter of implementing a known good algorithm, that
> seems like a good way to start contributing to pypy.
>
> The advice on http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/project-ideas.html
> suggested posting this question to #pypy on IRC, which I attempted to
> do through http://webchat.freenode.net/ but I never got a response. It
> was my first time trying to communicate over IRC, so I'm not sure if I
> did something incorrectly while trying to join the channel (I saw
> buildbot messages but no one else speaking) or if the lack of activity
> was simply due to time difference (I'm on USA east coast time, while
> I'm aware that much of the pypy-dev community is located in Europe).
>
> Any help with either the original question or joining the IRC
> discussion would be greatly appreciated :)
>
> --
> Steven Jackson

The list is not really up to date, IRC is a good place to get more info
but it is a low-activity channel with most devs online during European
day-evening, and not every day.
As for sort, we have implemented only timsort for ndarrays of numeric
types, not record arrays. Numpy supports ‘quicksort’, ‘mergesort’, and
‘heapsort’, timsort is not supported. So to be numpy-compatible we
should maybe support the other kinds, and support sorting record arrays.
It would be great to get more people involved in pypy-numpy.
Matti