[pypy-dev] pypy-c failing to find libpypy-c.so on freebsd

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:09:38 CET 2015

The freebsd builds are failing since we changed to --shared by default.
While translation succeeds, the resulting pypy-c cannot find
libpypy-c.so even though it seems to be copied properly. See for instance

http://buildbot.pypy.org/builders/pypy-c-jit-freebsd-9-x86-64/builds/462/steps/shell_1/logs/stdio

It seems the $ORIGIN flag is somehow not functioning properly. I found
this link

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6324131/rpath-origin-not-having-desired-effect

which would seems to suggest we need to add "-z origin" as well as
-rpath=$ORIGIN to the linker flags. Could someone (Tobias is the admin
of the buildbot, but anyone else is welcome to try) with a freebsd
platform try to track this down? It should be enough to run

python pytest.py rpython/translator/c/test/test_standalone.py -k shared
--verbose -s

on a pypy default repo after commit fa382e9b1c95, the test should fail.
Then try to mess with the rpath_flags in
rpython/translator/platform/posix.py till it passes

Thanks
Matti