[pypy-dev] Freezing the ".pypy-26.so" name?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat Jun 13 09:09:25 CEST 2015

Hi all,

The cpyext and cffi extension modules are created with the extension
".pypy-XY.so", were X and Y are the current PyPy version.  I believe
that there is little point any more: as far as I'm aware, nothing in
the API changed since a long time, and all these different versions
are identical to each other.  Should we simply freeze the
".pypy-26.so" name, so that future PyPy's will also use it, at least
until some really incompatible change is made?

This would resolve for example issues like
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/2882 .