[pypy-dev] Freezing the ".pypy-26.so" name?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat Jun 13 09:22:38 CEST 2015

Hi Donald,

On 13 June 2015 at 09:13, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> For the uses of pip, it would be preferable if there was an exported stable ABI
> that we could leverage to tag wheels with. For the people *making* Wheels, the
> less often that stable ABI changed the better, since a single wheel would be
> useful for more versions of PyPy then.

Sorry, I meant that nothing changed in the ABI, in addition to the
API.  You can just rename an existing "foo.pypy-25.so" to
"foo.pypy-26.so" and it should work.

Note that you have to assume that I don't know the problems related to
making wheels, and give some more details in your answer.  I'm ready
to hear about any suggestion if fixing "imp.get_suffixes()" is either
not a good idea, or ok but the same information needs to be exported
some other way too.  The point is that using sys.version_info[:2] is
too vague, given that it is always (2, 7), and using
sys.pypy_version_info[:2] is (or will become) too precise.