[pypy-dev] Questions about build new extension with RPython

Boxiang Sun daetalusun at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 01:33:29 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I am a newbie in PyPy. But with some experience in CPython, and also
OpenCV-Python binding and OpenCV-Julia binding.I want to bring OpenCV into
PyPy. Then use PyPy to do my research.

First, I read some PyPy and RPython document in recent days. I want to wrap
OpenCV in PyPy in "low level". Like OpenCV-CPython, it use Python-C API and
Numpy C-API to wrap function and class. Then write a autowrap script to
wrap it. In this way, OpenCV-CPython can communicate with NumPy array type.

If my understanding is correct. NumPy-PyPy wrote in RPython, wrap the
corresponding C and Fortran function.

I want wrap OpenCV in PyPy just like OpenCV-CPython. Let NumPy ndarray hold
the image matrix. But RPython documentation said  "It(Write with RPython)
cannot be used by any 3rd-party module". Does it mean if wrap OpenCV in
PyPy with cffi. OpenCV-PyPy could not use ndarray?

I plan to use RPython, but RPython documentation said it need rebuild PyPy
it self, and the module write in RPython will become a built-in module.
Rebuild PyPy seems unacceptable in OpenCV-PyPy.

Is there has a way to wrap OpenCV in PyPy that could communicate with
NumPy-PyPy and without rebuild PyPy it self?

Please correct me if my understanding was wrong.

Regards,
Sun