[pypy-dev] culling non-functional build slaves

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat Mar 14 09:57:07 CET 2015

Hi Yuriy,

Looking at the situation Matti describes where some buildslaves have
not been running for months, it seems that nobody was really
interested in looking at the results enough to care about sending a
mail to their owners...  So while we do appreciate some buildslaves,
and they are not a burden to set up for us, maybe you want to consider
the wider picture: would your buildslave be looked at by anyone?  In
more details:

On 13 March 2015 at 19:19, Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Do builds on FreeBSD provide any value to PyPy? It seems that all FreeBSD
> slaves are failing and there's no mention of FreeBSD support on download
> page...

So far, a few people have contributed FreeBSD buildslaves and
occasional fixes.  This makes FreeBSD somewhat supported (possibly
with some time lag), unofficially.  So whether additional buildslaves
provide value is up to the FreeBSD-interested people to decide.  I
would recommend to look at what FreeBSD buildslaves are working, and
if there is a gap you're interested in filling.

> 2. How often are builds run on these slaves? Should it be occupied 100% time
> it might face problems when I'd want to reboot or upgrade it.

By default, there is one or two builds every 24 hours.  A build should
finish in 2-3 hours as long as there is no swapping.  We can also give
the slave a custom configuration, like have it run a build weekly
instead of daily.  (It seems a bit pointless to run daily builds if
no-one looks at the result every day).

> 3. Who administers them? Will I have to provide root access to this jail to
> someone or will I need to watch after them myself?

Likely the second case.  We provide installation instructions.  It's
mostly up to you to make sure it runs, although usually it requires
little intervention.