[pypy-dev] Diploma Thesis on Pypy

Richard Plangger planrichi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 05:57:10 EDT 2015

Hi there,

I finished my thesis recently implementing a vectorizing optimization.
So I guess it is feasible :). My advice would be to build the VM and
make some baby steps in the test environment. This might sound weird,
but the development is very different to what you do at university (at
least in austria) and also very different to most projects I know.

I think there are many possible ways you could improve PyPy. It is hard
to give some advice on exactly what you should implement. After all you
need to be motivated until you finish your thesis.
It would probably be better to think about a topic (VM X does Y), see if
PyPy implemented Y (you can of course ask us, it is hard to get around
in such a big project in the beginning), (if not) reflect if it gives
any benefit for the VM and then implement it.

Here is a list of potential projects (might get you started):
http://pypy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/project-ideas.html
What really would help PyPy (might be more engineering than a
'researchy' topic) is to implement the Python 3 spec (e.g. 3.3,3.4,3.5).
You can also join IRC and we will see if we can help to choose a topic.

Cheers,
Richard