[pypy-dev] NumPyPy vs NumPy

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Aug 1 05:02:25 EDT 2016

Hi,

On 1 August 2016 at 10:24, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does this mean that the main direction is to support NumPy (through improving cpyext)
>> instead of maintaining NumPyPy? Is NumPy (with cpyext) fully supported in PyPy, or are there
>> any known compatibility issues?
>
> The main progress is to merge the two - we want to support NumPy (via
> cpyext) and we want things that are fast in numpypy (array access
> predominantly) to be used via numpypy

Yes, and your benchmarks reinforce the impression that
numpy-via-cpyext is faster in a lot of cases.  Moreover it is more
compatible with CPython's numpy, because supporting it fully is "only"
a matter of us improving the general cpyext compatibility layer.  Some
benchmarks like "extractint" show cases where numpy-via-cpyext suffers
from high levels of crossing the cpyext boundary.  As fijal says we
want to ultimately add some things from numpypy into numpy-via-cpyext,
maybe by patching or special-casing some methods like
ndarray.__getitem__ after the module is imported.

By the way, it would make a cool project for someone new to the pypy
code base (<= still trying to recruit help in making numpy, although
it turned out to be very difficult in the past).