[pypy-dev] 3.6?

Philip Jenvey pjenvey at underboss.org
Sat Dec 24 13:17:07 EST 2016

> On Dec 24, 2016, at 1:54 AM, Armin Rigo <armin.rigo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Philip,
>
> Can we get a discussion with respect to Python 3.6?  I see that you
> created a "py3.6" branch.  However, the people funded by Mozilla (like
> me) are more interested in finishing a good 3.5.x version first.  (I
> suppose it's up to discussion if we decide to go for 3.6 immediately,
> but I guess the answer is no.)
>
> That means we'll keep releasing 3.5 versions and won't look into 3.6
> before next summer.  It's unclear to me that it's worthwhile to start
> a parallel py3.6 branch right now, as it'll just be merging hell for
> the next 6 months.  Well, I suppose it's your hell, so I can't
> complain on my own :-)

Hey,

I’m not intending to do much more with it, I would rather help w/ 3.5 like you’re suggesting.

In the past there’s always been others who were eager to hack on the latest 3.x, so somebody was bound to start this branch at some point anyway. I figured I’d do the work of the merge now, and carefully — we’ve unfortunately had some issues with this large 3.x vendor merge in the past =]

I also got a quick look at 3.6 and the gratification of more closely chasing the head of cpython after all these years.

—
Philip Jenvey