[pypy-dev] Fwd: Leysin Winter Sprint 2016

Armin Rigo armin.rigo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 08:23:25 EST 2016

Hi all,

         PyPy Leysin Winter Sprint (20-27th February 2016)

The next PyPy sprint will be in Leysin, Switzerland, for the eleventh time.
This is a fully public sprint: newcomers and topics other than those
proposed below are welcome.

------------------------------
Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

The details depend on who is here and ready to work.  The list of
topics is mostly the same as last year (did PyPy became a mature
project with only long-term goals?):

* cpyext (CPython C API emulation layer): various speed and
  completeness topics

* cleaning up the optimization step in the JIT, change the register
  allocation done by the JIT's backend, or more improvements to the
  warm-up time

* finish vmprof - a statistical profiler for CPython and PyPy

* Py3k (Python 3.x support), NumPyPy (the numpy module)

* STM (Software Transaction Memory), notably: try to come up with
  benchmarks, and measure them carefully in order to test and improve
  the conflict reporting tools, and more generally to figure out how
  practical it is in large projects to avoid conflicts

* And as usual, the main side goal is to have fun in winter sports :-)
  We can take a day off for ski.

-----------
Exact times
-----------

I have booked the week from Saturday 20 to Saturday 27.  It is fine to
leave either the 27 or the 28, or even stay a few
more days on either side.  The plan is to work full days between the 21
and the 27.  You are of course allowed to show up for a part of that
time only, too.

-----------------------
Location & Accomodation
-----------------------

Leysin, Switzerland, "same place as before".  Let me refresh your
memory: both the sprint venue and the lodging will be in a
pair of chalets built specifically for bed & breakfast:
http://www.ermina.ch/.  The place has a good ADSL Internet connection
with wireless installed.  You can also arrange your own lodging
elsewhere (as long as you are in Leysin, you cannot be more than a 15
minutes walk away from the sprint venue).

Please *confirm* that you are coming so that we can adjust the
reservations as appropriate.

The options of rooms are a bit more limited than on previous years
because the place for bed-and-breakfast is shrinking: what is
guaranteed is only one double-bed room and a bigger room with 5-6
individual beds (the latter at 50-60 CHF per night, breakfast
included).  If there are more people that would prefer a single room,
please contact me and we'll see what choices you have.  There are a
choice of hotels, many of them reasonably priced for Switzerland.

Please register by Mercurial::

  https://bitbucket.org/pypy/extradoc/
  https://bitbucket.org/pypy/extradoc/raw/extradoc/sprintinfo/leysin-winter-2016

or on this mailing list if you do not yet have check-in rights.

You need a Swiss-to-(insert country here) power adapter.  There will be
some Swiss-to-EU adapters around, and at least one EU-format power strip.

-------Armin Rigo