[pypy-dev] More Push towards Python 3.x?

Manuel Jacob me at manueljacob.de
Wed Jan 6 12:22:24 EST 2016

Hi,

On 2016-01-06 13:43, Phyo Arkar wrote:
> Pypy, Python 3.x is lagging behind a lot.
> Python 3.5 is a version we should be Evolving to so Is there any
> planned
> timeline for Pypy Python 3.x ?

There is no official timeline.  My personal roadmap, as one of the main
contributors in the last months, is the following:

1) Regularly merge default into the py3k branch, adapting code to Python
3.x as necessary, trying to keep the buildbots green.
2) Implement missing features / fixing bugs in the py3.3 branch when I
have time and motivation.
3) In any case, the py3.3 branch will be merged back into py3k and
closed before or at the beginning of the Leysin sprint.  A new branch
py3.5 will be opened to create many opportunities for newcomers at the
sprint.

Many people have asked why we have a py3k branch, currently implementing
Python 3.2, a version almost nobody uses.  The point is to see easily
whether a test failure resulted from the last merge from the default
branch, or was failing a potentially long time before.  This helps
making sure we don't accumulate failing tests over time.

-Manuel