[pypy-dev] Is it possible to make PyPy smaller?

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Jun 30 07:15:25 EDT 2016

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, Paul Baker wrote:

> My concern with distributing PyPy to end-users is size: Python27.dll is
> 2.3MB while libpypy-c.dll is 41.9MB.
>
> Why is PyPy so much bigger than CPython? Is it possible to build a
> version of PyPy which is closer to CPython in size?

It may be very well possible with some compilation flags juggling, but
building PyPy on Windows is not a walk in the park, so you really need to
consider whether you want to get into it or not...

What is your main concern, however? I would assume, that this DLL
compresses really well with something like 7z / ultra, does it not? If
it's the unpacked size that bothers you, you could, for instance, treat
the DLL with UPX.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev