[pypy-dev] Refcount garbage collector build error

Papa, Florin florin.papa at intel.com
Fri Mar 18 03:57:35 EDT 2016

Hi all,

This is Florin Papa from the Dynamic Scripting Languages Team at Intel Corporation.

I am trying to build pypy to use the refcount garbage collector, for testing purposes. I am following the indications here [1], but the following command fails:

pypy ../../rpython/bin/rpython -O2 --gc=ref targetpypystandalone

with the error:

[translation:ERROR] OpErrFmt: [<W_TypeObject 'exceptions.ImportError' at 0x89a68a8>: No module named _weakref]

When I run pypy in interactive mode, "import _weakref" works fine. I encounter the same error if I try to use python to run the rpython script. Is the refcount garbage collector still supported?

[1] http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/config/translation.gc.html

Regards,
Florin