[pypy-dev] release seems ready

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Mar 18 09:57:15 EDT 2016

Hi Pim,

On 18 March 2016 at 13:25, Pim van der Eijk (Lists)
<lists at sonnenglanz.net> wrote:
> -  For my test programs (the script in the issue on BitBucket is derived
> from one of them),  PyPy is much slower.

If you're comparing the speed of scripts that have a large amount of
crossings of the cpyext layer (i.e. crossings between Python code and
CPython C extension code), then yes, it's expected to be much slower.
The speed improved a lot recently, which means it is now *much slower*
instead of *very, very much slower*.

It makes no sense, now or in the future, to use PyPy in the hope to
speed up a script that does _only_ lxml stuff with almost no Python
code running in-between.

> -  Memory use continues to grow up to over 80% at which time where my laptop
> starts swapping,  whereas with CPython usage is never more than 4%.

This is more annoying.  Can you give us a way to reproduce this?

Armin