[pypy-dev] Forwarding...

Kotrfa kotrfa at gmail.com
Thu May 19 15:29:36 EDT 2016

Thanks for answer Maciej!

I'm glad that this is in progress. It isn't possible to make some image
about the situation from what I have found on the web. You response
clarifies that a bit. I understand how difficult it can be.

But I disagree with you regarding kickstarter. Pypy is connected to user
experience. E.g. I am working as datascientists and pypy is running about 3
times faster on the code I am able to use it on (which is, unfortunately,
minority - most of it is of course in those 4 libraries which shines red on
the library support wall - numpy, scipy, pandas, scikit-learn). Similar
with (py)Spark. I would say there are more data scientists using Python
than those who likes to use "MicroPython on the ESP8266". The gain this
field can get from Pypy is quite substantial, even with that conservative
estimate about 3 times as fast compared to cPython. And that is just one
example.

Of course, I cannot ensure that you might get reasonably funded on
kickstarter-like sites. But, what can you lose by making a campaign? It
would be definitely much more visible than on your website, which, to be
honest, could be a bit modernized as well.  And even if it wouldn't be a
success, you still get PR basically for free.

I, unfortunately, don't have any insights or recommendation, it just
scratched my mind.

Thanks for your awesome work,
Daniel

čt 19. 5. 2016 v 18:12 odesílatel Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com>