[pypy-dev] Visual Studio 2015 build strange behavior

Sergey Kurdakov sergey.forum at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 01:43:03 EDT 2017

Hi,

for anyone interested here are my changes to compile with VS2015 compiler
in attachment (over pypy version  5.7.1)

I compiled with stock python

cd pypy/goalpython  ../../rpython/bin/rpython --opt=jit

compilation options in files are changed manually to reflect new compiler

rpython\translator\platform\windows.py

in _get_msvc_env(vsver, x64flag)
toolsdir = os.environ['VS140COMNTOOLS']

vcvars = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\\Common7\\Tools\\vsvars32.bat"#os.path.join(toolsdir, 'vsvars32.bat')

otherwise - I followed http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/windows.html

few caveats:
VS2015 now loads ucrtbase.dll in place of msvcrt.dll

changed _PyVerify_fd implementation as it won't compile,
fixed few other compilation issues.

the compilation works, but all network calls end with
[Errno 10035] A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed
immediately ( but _PyVerify_fd works correctly )

did not figure  out so far why  it happens.

while changes are not production ready - they could be a hint what might be
needed to change in pypy to compile with new
ms compilers ( ucrtbase vs msvcrt etc, new _PyVerify_fd etc )

attachment is a zip file with changed extension ( gmail checks for py files
.... ) and contains only changed files (pypy 5.7.1)

Now I will try older compilers to see if I could catch my initial crash
with python project, but in a few weeks time.
Still think, that it is ok to share changes - someone could try and see
what is needed for future support of vs2015/vs2017

Best regards
Sergey