[pypy-dev] Visual Studio 2015 build strange behavior

Sergey Kurdakov sergey.forum at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 08:40:57 EDT 2017

Hi Armin,

concerning pull request.

there are few issues:

the new PyVerify_fd  code will not work with vs 2013 as that compiler
has a bug: it reports console fd s as positive numbers ( earlier ms
compilers and vs 2015 are correct to return negative values )
so both versions ( previous and new one ) of the code ( now lacking in
my changes - only new code ) had to be included
will add it to my changes.

the other new C code also would be ifdef ed for the same reasons.

So I will include older code to pypy code - but ifdef ed.

there is another issue with current changes

cfunc = get_on_lib(ctypes.cdll.ucrtbase, funcname) in addition to
cfunc = get_on_lib(ctypes.cdll.msvcrt, funcname)

in /rpython/rtyper/lltypesystem/ll2ctypes.py

in previews versions of compiler there was no ucrtbase, so some checks
will be needed ( so far I have no idea how to make it better )

as for my last error I observed.

also to Matti

interestingly, debug build of pypy does not exhibit the  problem  with
openssl and the only difference between builds  I could observe so far
- is that debug allocates more stack

/rpython/translator/platform/windows.py

stack_size = 8 << 20  # 8 Mb

self.link_flags = self.link_flags + ('/STACK:%d' % stack_size,)

( so that function call fail which I reported in this  thread might be
not calling convention fail  but lack of enough stack memory might be
a culprit ) , thus I will try to play with this in release build

as I do this research is spare time.
I hope that I will appear with code in a week time.

Best regards
Sergey