[pypy-dev] numpy Installation in pypy on window 7 with python ver. 3.6

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 10:31:06 EST 2017

On 23/12/2017 6:02 AM, 이대수 wrote:

> Hi, I've been trying to install "numpy" in pypy using pip install numpy.
>
> I'm using window7(64bit) and the python ver. 3.6.
>
> And I downloaded "Windows binary (32bit)
> <https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/downloads/pypy2-v5.9.0-win32.zip> (you
> might need the VS 2008 runtime library installer vcredist_x86.exe
> <http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582>.)"
>
> - The above version is for python 2.7 and window 32 bit.
>
> Despite the facts, I just downloaded it and installed pip for pypy.
>
> though it worked, the error kept showing up when I tried to install
> numpy, using "pip install numpy".

> Here's the question.
>
> 1. Would it work if I install "Windows binary (32bit)
> <https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/downloads/pypy2-v5.9.0-win32.zip> (you
> might need the VS 2008 runtime library installer vcredist_x86.exe
> <http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582>.)" this
> version on window7(64bit) with python ver. 2.7 ?
>
> 2. Or do I have to use "window(64bit) & python ver.2.7"?  (I'm asking
> since I saw somebody say "This version now works on window 64bit too!").

You did not actually state what "the error" is. One of the most common
problems on Windows is that it does not come with a compiler, you must
install one. This link provides a MSVC compiler compatible with python
2.7 (PyPy and CPython)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44266

Are you sure you are using the pip from PyPy? Once you unzip the file
you downloaded, you should open a DOS terminal, and execute

path\to\pypy-xxx/bin/pypy -m ensurepip
path\to\pypy-xxx/bin/pip install cython numpy

Matti