[pypy-dev] VMProf 0.4.0

Richard Plangger planrichi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 05:22:13 EST 2017

Hi there,

I'm currently finishing up vmprof native profilng for CPython & PyPy. Here
are some highlights (soon to be released in 0.4.0):

* Native profiling (C stack) is included in the profile (using libunwind)
for Linux & Mac
* Windows 64bit support (no native profiling)
* The platform that reads the profile can be different from the platform
that generated it
* vmprof.com updates to the flamegraph and general style changes
* Documentation updates

I'm happy to receive any feedback.

PyPy support is nearly finished, but there is one issue:

On my branch (called vmprof-native), libunwind is required to be available
on the system. Which means that we need to install those on the buildbots
(which is fine) and libunwind suddenly becomes a dependency when building
PyPy on Linux and Mac. Is the latter ok? Or should libunwind be an optional
dependency?

Cheers,
Richard