[pypy-dev] cppyy fails to build on gcc 5 and clang

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 17 14:01:57 EST 2017

Hi Tobias,

> 1. gcc 5 / libstdc++
> 2. gcc 4.9 / libstdc++
> 3. clang / libc++
> 4. clang / libstdc++
>
> 1/3/4 fails building cppy.

how does 3 fail? I presume differently than 1, 4?

> 2 builds cppyy, but the example bails out.

In which way?

> What toolchain/system are you using?

Gentoo, SuSE and Mac. But the build files are taken from a larger project
that I've stripped down. The larger project has a plethora of systems that
have nightly builds:

   http://cdash.cern.ch/index.php?project=ROOT

So in theory, it should work (famous last words).

> Do you have a Docker image that works?

No, haven't. ROOT itself is part of most distro's. I think it's called
"root-cern" on Ubuntu? That only gets you most of the way, however: there's
also a clingcwrapper.cxx (in the pip and the cxx source) that provides all
the C entry points that the PyPy cppyy module needs and it's not currently
in the ROOT builds (yet).

Sorry for the trouble, but it hasn't even been announced, so you're if not
the first, then one of the first users of this pip. :}

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net