[pypy-dev] okay to rename cppyy -> _cppyy

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Tue Jul 18 17:33:03 EDT 2017

Hi,

any objections to renaming cppyy into _cppyy?

I want to be able to do a straight 'pip install cppyy' and then use it
w/o further gymnastics (this works today for CPython), but then I can't
have 'cppyy' be a built-in module.

(You can pip install PyPy-cppyy-backend, but then you'd still have to deal
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and certain cppyy features are PyPy version dependent
even as they need not be as they are pure Python.)

The pip-installed cppyy will still use the built-in _cppyy for the PyPy
specific parts (low-level manipulations etc.).

I'm also moving the cppyy documentation out of the pypy documentation and
placing it on its own (http://cppyy.readthedocs.io/), given that the
CPython side of things now works, too.

Yes, no, conditional?

Thanks,