[pypy-dev] okay to rename cppyy -> _cppyy

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 19 17:09:12 EDT 2017

Maciej,

yes, I know. :) I used and use CFFI for inspiration.

Now done. The package structure has become:

                       _cppyy for PyPy
                   /                      \
    cppyy (shared)                          cppyy-backend (shared)
                   \                      /
                     CPyCppyy for CPython

For pip-purposes, the cppyy wheel is not shared (but it's cheap to install).
The backend bdist_wheel can be re-used for PyPy, CPython2, and CPython3.

  $ virtualenv -p .../pypy/pypy/goal/pypy-c pypy-dev
  $ MAKE_NPROCS=32 pip install cppyy
  $ python
  Python 2.7.13 (0b40d2587588, Jul 19 2017, 00:43:13)
  [PyPy 5.9.0-alpha0 with GCC 5.4.0] on linux2
  using my private settings ...
  And now for something completely different: ``Therefore, specific information,
  I was in an ideal context, I had to realize the faith''
  Hello, World!

The documentation and (shared) app-level tests live in cppyy. I have some
more work to do there.

For PyPy-5.7 and -5.8, this can be done:

and things work from there (albeit not niceties such as cppdef() above, but
all the genreflex etc. stuff works).

Omer, Anto, thanks for pushing. :) I'm actually pretty pleased with this
setup: it all works nicer than I expected. Life being what it is, the last
time I looked into distutils was apparently Oct 9, 2007 (I just checked my
archives). Things have improved quite a bit since then ...

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net