[pypy-dev] okay to rename cppyy -> _cppyy

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Thu Jul 20 11:46:38 EDT 2017

Armin,

> If the newly-named '_cppyy' module is more minimal than '_cffi_backend'

'more minimal' is a hard to define term, but a 'wc -l' shows that
_cffi_backend has 8498 lines of python and _cppyy has 4265. Of course, the
latter uses the former, saving lots of code for it. :)

Further, _cppyy includes 470 lines in pythonify.py which could move out, as
it is not RPython, but that would make it harder to write tests, which would
have to be low-level (as in test_cppyy.py) instead of high level (the rest).

I wrote some small benchmarks for the PyHPC '16 paper. If I find the time
to flesh that out further, I can better judge what can move out of RPython
(_cppyy) and into Python (cppyy), without loss of performance.

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net