[pypy-dev] [Speed] adding a pypy runner for speed.python.org

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 08:47:01 EST 2018

Hi,

I tried but failed to find someone in PyPy to adjust performance
benchmarks for PyPy. Currently, the JIT is not properly warmed up, and
the results can be dishonnest or not reliable.

My latest attempt to support is PyPy is:
http://vstinner.readthedocs.io/pypy_warmups.html

IMHO we need to develop a statistical methodology in perf to compute
when values become stable. That's hard to define and it was proven
that "performance stability" doesn't exist (see " Virtual Machine
Warmup Blows Hot and Cold" paper).

Fijal from PyPy would like to use hardcoded configuration for the
number of warmup values. I like the idea, but nobody implemented it
yet.

Victor