[pypy-dev] Slowdown on latest 3.5 nightly?

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:27:18 EST 2018

On 16/11/18 4:50 pm, Donald Stufft wrote:
> I’ve been working on porting PyPI/Warehouse to using PyPy3, using the latest PyPy3 release (6.0.0) my tests on Warehouse take ~200 seconds to run, which is roughly within the realm of what I expected.
>
> I noticed when I tried to use the latest PyPy3 3.5 nightly (pypy-c-jit-95315-0a5cd8d36e99-linux64.tar.bz2) that my tests were randomly “hanging” (or taking so long to complete a single test that I got bored and filled it). It wasn’t every time, (IOW, the test it happened to would switch around each run). I thought maybe it was a problem with the functional tests, and ran only the unit tests, and it got ~19% of the way through and happened again (and in general the tests were way way slower).
>
> I went back one nightly release, to pypy-c-jit-95312-3bb86a88e1d3-linux64.tar.bz2 and tried with that, and that works as expected, with a similar runtime to PyPy3-6.0.0 and without any hangs.

That is very strange, the only difference between those two commits is
changing a spaace.bytes_w() call to space.|charbuf_w() in
PyUnicode_FromEncodedObject, which should have no effect (and some
testing changes). Could you try a latest nightly ||(|e1b0f8e6c29c from
2018-11-20 or after) http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/py3.5 ? |I
refactored that code to call |spaace.bytes_w()|| if possible before
other checks.

If you have extra time, maybe you could even try the unicode-utf8-py3
nightly, http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/unicode-utf8-py3 which is a
WIP to use utf8 internally everywhere without converting back and forth
to unicode. It would be nice to know if that is any faster (or even works).

Matti ||