[pypy-dev] PyPy 7.0.0 is out!

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 05:57:12 EST 2019

PyPy v7.0.0: triple release of 2.7, 3.5 and 3.6-alpha

The PyPy team is proud to release the version 7.0.0 of PyPy, which includes
three different interpreters:

  - PyPy2.7, which is an interpreter supporting the syntax and the features
of
    Python 2.7

  - PyPy3.5, which supports Python 3.5

  - PyPy3.6-alpha: this is the first official release of PyPy to support 3.6
    features, although it is still considered alpha quality.

All the interpreters are based on much the same codebase, thus the triple
release.

Until we can work with downstream providers to distribute builds with PyPy,
we
have made packages for some common packages `available as wheels`_.

The `GC hooks`_ , which can be used to gain more insights into its
performance, has been improved and it is now possible to manually manage the
GC by using a combination of ``gc.disable`` and ``gc.collect_step``. See the
`GC blog post`_.

.. _`GC hooks`:
http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/gc_info.html#semi-manual-gc-management

We updated the `cffi`_ module included in PyPy to version 1.12, and the
`cppyy`_ backend to 1.4. Please use these to wrap your C and C++ code,
respectively, for a JIT friendly experience.

As always, this release is 100% compatible with the previous one and fixed
several issues and bugs raised by the growing community of PyPy users.
We strongly recommend updating.

The PyPy3.6 release and the Windows PyPy3.5 release are still not production
quality so your mileage may vary. There are open issues with incomplete
compatibility and c-extension support.

The utf8 branch that changes internal representation of unicode to utf8 did
not
make it into the release, so there is still more goodness coming.
You can download the v7.0 releases here:

    http://pypy.org/download.html

We would like to thank our donors for the continued support of the PyPy
project. If PyPy is not quite good enough for your needs, we are available
for
direct consulting work.

We would also like to thank our contributors and encourage new people to
join
the project. PyPy has many layers and we need help with all of them: `PyPy`_
and `RPython`_ documentation improvements, tweaking popular modules to run
on pypy, or general `help`_ with making RPython's JIT even better.

.. _`PyPy`: index.html
.. _`RPython`: https://rpython.readthedocs.org
.. _`help`: project-ideas.html
.. _`cffi`: http://cffi.readthedocs.io
.. _`cppyy`: https://cppyy.readthedocs.io
.. _`available as wheels`: https://github.com/antocuni/pypy-wheels
.. _`GC blog post`:
https://morepypy.blogspot.com/2019/01/pypy-for-low-latency-systems.html

What is PyPy?
=============

PyPy is a very compliant Python interpreter, almost a drop-in replacement
for
CPython 2.7, 3.5 and 3.6. It's fast (`PyPy and CPython 2.7.x`_ performance
comparison) due to its integrated tracing JIT compiler.

We also welcome developers of other `dynamic languages`_ to see what RPython
can do for them.

The PyPy release supports:

  * **x86** machines on most common operating systems
    (Linux 32/64 bits, Mac OS X 64 bits, Windows 32 bits, OpenBSD, FreeBSD)

  * big- and little-endian variants of **PPC64** running Linux,

  * **s390x** running Linux

Unfortunately at the moment of writing our ARM buildbots are out of service,
so for now we are **not** releasing any binary for the ARM architecture.

.. _`PyPy and CPython 2.7.x`: http://speed.pypy.org
.. _`dynamic languages`:
http://rpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples.html