[pypy-dev] Review for blog post

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:28:20 EST 2019

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 8:59 AM Armin Rigo <armin.rigo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any clue about why the "purple line" graph, after adding some
> gc.disable() and gc.collect_step(), is actually 10% faster than the
> baseline?  Is that because "purple" runs the GC when "yellow" would be
> sleeping waiting for the next input, and you don't count that time in
> the performance?  If so, maybe we could clarify that we don't expect
> better overall performance by adding some gc.disable() and
> gc.collect_step() in a program doing just computations---in this case
> it works because it is reorganizing tasks in such a way that the GC
> runs at a moment where it is "free".

Yes, that's exactly the reason: the GC still runs, but runs "somewhere
else" which is not shown in the graph. I added a paragraph to explain it
better, thanks for the suggestion.

Btw, the final blog post has been published here:
https://morepypy.blogspot.com/2019/01/pypy-for-low-latency-systems.html

ciao,
Anto