[pypy-dev] Procedure for releasing PyPy

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:39:42 EST 2019

Hi,
I have starting the procedure for doing a 7.0 release, I'd like to have
some feedback on the process, in particular for bumping the version number.

If we don't do it correctly the risk is to revert the version change when
we do a merge between default and the release branch or viceversa, which
resulting in the need of commits like this:
https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/commits/6a1df86a6f7a

So what I did was this:

1) hg up -r default
2) hg branch release-pypy2.7-7.x
3) bump the version number to 7.0.0-final (commit d47849ba8135)
4) hg up -r default
5) hg merge release-pypy2.7-7.x (commit c4dc91f2e037)
6) bump the version number (on default) to 7.1.0-alpha0 (commit
f3cf624ab14c)
7) merge default into release-pypy2.7-7.x, editing the files before the
commit to avoid changing the version again (commit 7986159ef4d8)

This way we should be able to freely merge default into release and
viceversa without problems.
Also, what to do with pypy3.5? I think that at this point the best way
would be to merge default into py3.5, and to the same commit dance for
release-pypy3.5-7.x.

I don't like this complicate procedure, but it is the only I could come up
with: do you think it's reasonable? If so, I'll update how-to-release.rst
accordingly.

Can we think of something better? To start with, ideally we should have the
version number in a single place instead of 3 (4 if you also count the hg
branch name) :(

ciao,
Anto