[pypy-dev] Updating packages.pypy.org

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 02:26:27 EST 2019

I have updated the repo behind http://packages.pypy.org (forked to
https://github.com/pypy/pypy.packages):

- use the latest pypy3.6 (v7.1 from two days ago), which has the utf8
improvements

- PyPI changed their interface, so I had to manually create a
download.csv with the top 1000 packages from the last 12 months

- updated the docker image to use utf-8 as the filesystemencoding so we
don't get strange ascii encoding errors when reading files with unicode

With these changes, we successfully can install almost all the packages.
OpenCV, Tensorflow and apache-beam, which all require complicated
install procedures that seem to be beyond the ability of a simple "pip
install", fail, as do some python2-only packages that are still in the
top 1000.

Next steps:

- Release 7.1 once the newmemoryview-app-level branch lands (it allows
creating memoryviews of ctypes structures, passing more tests on numpy's
latest version)

- Rerun the repo with an official build

- Update the web site.