[pypy-dev] upcoming release

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 13:03:08 EST 2019

I would like to do a release of pypy soon. The biggest change from 7.2
is that we changed the SOABI to pypy27_pp73 (or pp36_pp73) to better
hanlde packaging. Since a new release of pip will depend on our SOABI, I
would like the release to happen soon. I am proposing this be "7.3.0"
and not "8.0.0".

Are there any outstanding issues we should fix before a new release?

Packaging PyPy:

I have been on changing our build/packaging on linux to produce a binary
based on portable-pypy. My motivation is to enable projects like
multibuild or cibuildwheels to download binary versions of PyPy from a
single source. Is this a priority?

The wininstaller branch provides an installer based on the CPython one.
It works. Should we release it now? Is this a priority?

Thanks for feedback

Matti