[pypy-dev] upcoming release

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 04:45:26 EST 2019

Hi Matti,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 7:03 PM Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to do a release of pypy soon. The biggest change from 7.2
> is that we changed the SOABI to pypy27_pp73 (or pp36_pp73) to better
> hanlde packaging. Since a new release of pip will depend on our SOABI, I
> would like the release to happen soon. I am proposing this be "7.3.0"
> and not "8.0.0".

+1

Are there any outstanding issues we should fix before a new release?

if it has not done already, I think it would be a good idea to update the
bundled version of pip so that you can install manylinux2010 wheels with
just `pypy -m ensurepip`.

> Packaging PyPy:
>
> I have been on changing our build/packaging on linux to produce a binary
> based on portable-pypy. My motivation is to enable projects like
> multibuild or cibuildwheels to download binary versions of PyPy from a
> single source. Is this a priority?

+1 also on this. For my wheels repo, I have to use the unofficial portable
build. If we aim for packages to release their own pypy wheels, we should
make the process as straighforward as possible.

ciao,
Anto